Charlotte NC is a wonderful place to build a custom home. However, that doesn’t make it immune to all the problems related to building and constructing homes. In the US, there are numerous projects which fail to reach completion because of improper planning and improper expectations.
While such mishaps are common, that simply doesn’t stop people from pursuing their dream of building a custom home. If you too have a dream of building yourself a humble abode in the Carolinas, here are some serious pitfalls to avoid in order to successfully bring the project to completion. So, let’s start.
- Price is not everything – Many owners focus all their attention on buying an affordable or cheap property. They simply overlook whether or not the property has proper access to all the utilities. If not, you might end paying a lot more for those utilities. You live in the home not the deal, which means don’t just focus on price. While price is important so is the reputation of the builder and the quality!
- DIY is not a good idea – Building a home is completely different from drawing a structure on a paper. There are no chances for silly errors and mistakes. That is why DIY is a bad idea. You must hire professional custom home builders, specifically someone with extensive experience in handling similar projects.
- Poor or Incomplete Planning – Building a custom home is nothing like building a Lego structure. You can’t just plan as you go. Proper planning is required prior to starting the project. Custom home builders are expert at planning the whole process within your specified time and budget. Bellamy Homes has many processes in place to prevent mistakes and help make sure the process is smooth all the way.
- Unrealistic Expectations – Is your builder promising you an extremely low priced structure within an unbelievable time? They may be deceiving you. Don’t fall for such traps. It is nearly impossible for custom homes to get built in a month or two. Not unless a tremendous amount of money is spent hiring more resources. Such unrealistic deadlines would only increase your stress. Make sure that the builder is up front and honest about timelines and requirements. The builder must not be afraid to tell you the truth even when you do not want to hear it.
- Longer Loans – Talking about unrealistic expectations, always remember that your custom home project will always exceed the time and budget you expect. That is why it is always wise to take loans for longer periods i.e. take 15 months loan rather than just for twelve. Also understand that Bellamy Homes does something that most builders do not. We pay your interest on your construction loan while the home is under construction!!
- Payments in Advance – Always be wary of builders who have never done construction perm loans or do not have a plan ahead of time if you pay cash. They should not be unfamiliar with how the process will lay out for both parties.
- Compromising Quality - Only a few people ever get a chance to live their dreams and when that happens, chances are it won’t happen again and again. This holds true for building your new home. Make sure the quality of material is up to the desired standard.
- Overlooking your Lifestyle – When building a custom home, never forget your current lifestyle and future changes that would affect your lifestyle and family. Your new custom home should comply with your lifestyle and be flexible enough to change according to the changing requirements with time. Bellamy Homes is always making changes to stay current and then do more than what is required. That is why every home we build is Energy Star qualified.
With all these points in mind, you will be able to avoid common mistakes that may come in the way of your dreams. Please visit www.BellamyHomes.com to find out more about what we do and how we can help you build your dream home in the Carolinas.
When it comes to a new house and affordability, building a custom home is an option people should consider. It is common perception that building a custom home costs more than buying a resale. It includes the land price, project planning price, construction cost, etc. However, when you want a home just like the one you have always dreamt of, there is simply no other option.
The good news, however, is that custom homes don’t really have to be as costly as people think they are. There are many ways you can save money when building a new custom home even in Charlotte NC. In the Carolinas, there are countless options including town homes and lake homes. People dream about building their home near in beautiful communities such as Lake Wylie, Lake Norman, Heron Cove, Verdict Ridge, etc. The following points will explain how you can save a tremendous amount of money even on a lavish lake house.
Save a Lot on the Lot
If you wish to save as much money as you can, you must start saving as early as possible. The very first thing you need to build a custom home is an empty lot. So, that’s where you must start looking for a great deal. You will have to put a little more time into the process. Visit a lot of properties and list down the ones you like the best. Compare each of them and choose the most reasonably priced one.
Right Shape, Right Size
A very common mistake in buying the lot is people look for a problem free lot i.e. one with leveled terrain or narrow hillside lots. Most people don’t consider such properties and that is why they are cheaper. The only thing you must look for is the availability of water and other utilities. Also, look for a lot only as big as you need it to be. Don’t waste money on unreasonably large lots.
Avoid Common Mistakes
Due to the lack of experience, people make mistakes in the planning and management of construction work. These mistakes are common and repetitive and may double up the overall cost. The best way to avoid these mistakes is to hire an experienced and reputed custom home builder. The fee these professionals charge is considerably lower than all the loss and stress you’d suffer without them.
Go Green to Save Greens
There are many benefits of using green and environment friendly construction material. Not only are they completely guilt free, they save a lot of energy in the long run and may also help you save on taxes as well. There are many home builders in Charlotte who actually promote greener trends in building and construction. Bellamy Homes is an Energy Star qualified builder so that you can make the most out of your investment!
Smart Design and Details
Do you realize that a double story building will cost significantly less than gigantic ranch style custom homes? The more ground you cover, the more the cost of leveling the terrain and raising the foundation increases. Professional home builders also keep the design aspect of the house in their mind. Depending on your budget, the size of the lot and what you have in your mind, they help you build your dream house in least possible budget.
If you live in Charlotte NC or have ever been there, you can’t remain untouched and unimpressed by the beauty of the wonderful custom lake homes near Lake Wylie or Lake Norman. Now, imagine these homes built somewhere in a shabby neighborhood instead. Not only would they seem out of place, they will also appear less attractive and beautiful than they actually are. That is why it is utterly important to pick the right home site to custom-build your dream home.
However, the site and location of a home is more than just the beauty of a house. It is also about how comfortably and conveniently you would be able to live in your home. If chosen properly, a great site will eliminate a good percentage of problems associated with the adjustment in a new place.
Unfortunately, many people overlook the importance of proper analysis and evaluation of the site before they buy a lot for their house. This is usually because they wish to save time and money, or simply because some real estate agents try to lure them in for a property which promises higher commission. So, don’t fall for their tricks and follow these tips to pick a great site for your home.
We all have a perfect house in our mind. When buying a lot, always try to picture your dream house at that location. Does it fit there? Will the site be able to properly showcase the aesthetics of your home? Waterfronts such lakes, rivers and ponds greatly enhance the beauty of a structure. Other factors may include plantation, parks and the prevailing architecture of buildings in the neighborhood. Also, keep in mind the size and dimensions of the lot and see if it fits your floor plans perfectly.
Take a look at the surrounding. Is there too much traffic on the nearest road or street? Even when building a town home, see if there is something that might block the view from the most aesthetically pleasing angle for your home. If the streets are not sloping enough, it may create drainage issues during the rainy season.
No matter how calm and peaceful you would prefer life to be, your home must be in close proximity to facilities such as hospitals, schools, bus stops or metro stations, etc. While a heavy traffic in the neighboring street is disturbing, it is always useful to have a main highway somewhere near your home. Also, consider a site near shopping facilities and grocery stores, so you won’t have to take your car out and drive a few miles to get a tin of soda.
It is extremely important to know and learn about the people and community in the neighborhood. After all, these are the people you are going to live your dream with. Charlotte NC is known for its beautiful towns and wonderful neighborhoods with a strong community, but that does not always mean you will be able to adjust anywhere you want. So, it is best to ring a few door bells and meet a couple of neighbors before making the final decision.
Cost and Value
Other factors to base your decision upon include the passage of air and light on the lot. A north facing corner lot usually gets more light than others, but costs higher as well. Also, analyze the ground level and plantation on the lot in order to estimate the overall cost properly. You will have to get the ground cleared and leveled before building anything.
Finally, do take your time to learn about the future development plan of the area. The development in the area will greatly affect the value of your home in the long term.